Africa, Groundwater and the Sustainable Development Goals
Wednesday 25 October 2017, Geological Society, Burlington House, London.
A joint meeting of the International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) British Chapter and the Hydrogeological Group of the Geological Society, including the 2017 Ineson Lecture. The meeting will address groundwater development issues in Africa.
The 2017 Ineson Lecture will be presented by Dr Callist Tindimugaya, Ministry of Water and Environment, Uganda, and IAH Vice President for Sub Saharan Africa.
The Ineson Lecture will be accompanied by a varied programme of presentations, a debate,and a panel discussion from experts in the field of groundwater research, development and management in Africa, from academic, government, NGO and private sectors, including:
- Guy Howard, UK Department for International Development, on groundwater research into poverty
- Richard Taylor, University College London, on climate change and groundwater resilience
- Brighid Ó Dochartaigh, British Geological Survey, on groundwater data for sustainable development
- A debate on the roles of the NGO & private sectors vs government in community water supply in Africa.
- A panel discussion on aspects of groundwater and the SDGs in Africa.
This will be a full day meeting (10:30 – 17:00) with lunch provided, and a post-meeting wine reception in the Geological Society Main Library.
The meeting will also include presentation of the Geol Soc Hydrogeological Group Whitaker Medal and the IAH British Chapter John Day Bursary.
A finalised, full programme will be released soon.
Call for posters:
Poster presentations on the theme are welcome. If you are interested in presenting a poster, please contact the convenors, including your poster title and abstract.
The meeting fees, including evening wine reception and sandwich lunch, are:
- Members (IAH and/or GeolSoc) £45
- Non members £70
- Students £20 with lunch; £15 without lunch
Payment is on the door by cash or cheque (payable to British Committee of the IAH) – sorry, we have no facilities for card payments.
Please pre-register by 13 October by emailing Brighid Ó Dochartaigh (email@example.com).
- Geraint Burrows (IAH, Groundwater Relief) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alex Gallagher (Geol Soc, Wardell Armstrong) email@example.com
- Brighid Ó Dochartaigh (IAH, BGS) firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter: