IAH British Chapter Constitution
IAH British Chapter Constitution
Definition and Aims
1. The name of the committee shall be the British Committee of the International Association of Hydrogeologists.
2. The British Committee shall operate within the framework provided by the Statutes, Bye-laws or Rules of IAH.
3. The British Committee shall have as its aims:
a) Representation of the British members of IAH in the activities of the parent body and in other international activities as appropriate.
b) Appointment of reporters to the Council Meetings of IAH.
c) Promotion of activities which further the science and technology of hydrogeology.
d) Stimulation of interest of hydrogeologists in Britain in the activities of IAH.
e) Maintenance of a dialogue with other groups in Britain concerned with international water-related activities.
1. The membership of the British Committee shall consist of ten elected members of IAH. Members of IAH may be eligible for election if they reside in Britain or if they work overseas but their permanent domicile is in Britain.
2. Serving members of the Council of IAH resident in Britain.
3. The Chairman of the Hydrogeological Group of the Geological Society.
4. Up to four co-opted members.
5. Ordinary members of the Committee will normally serve for one five-year term beginning on the day of election. Terms will be staggered so that two members of the Committee retire each year. No ordinary members shall serve more than two terms consecutively (but see 2.6).
6. The officers of the British Committee for IAH shall be a Chairman and a Secretary/Treasurer, who shall be appointed by the Committee from amongst their membership. The Chairman shall serve for one five-year term which is not renewable; the Secretary/Treasurer, if elected, may serve for a further term.
7. The Chairman will preside over meetings of the Committee.
8. The Secretary/Treasurer will be responsible for preparing minutes of meetings and other general administrative work. He/she will collect and hold the funds belonging to the Committee and shall present regular (normally annual) accounts.
9. Vacancies on the Committee will be advertised by the Secretary/Treasurer in the spring of each year. Prospective Committee members must be proposed by two British members of IAH. The Secretary/Treasurer will organise a ballot of the membership if there are more candidates than vacancies on the Committee.
10. The Committee will set the annual membership fee for the British Members of IAH, who choose to pay through the Committee.
1. The British Committee of IAH shall meet at least once per calendar year and more frequently if requested by members of the Committee.
2. A quorum shall consist of four elected members of the Committee. Each member of the Committee, whether elected or otherwise, shall have one vote. Decisions will be made by a majority vote with the Chairman having the casting vote if necessary. If a quorum cannot be achieved, business may continue, but decisions must be ratified by the next meetings of the Committee at which there is a quorum.
Changes to the constitution
1. Changes to this constitution may be made upon the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the voting members of the Committee.